Browse all articles

What type of car can I sell?

• Updated

You can sell any car with a valid V5C that matches the number plates that are on the car you want to sell. You’ll need to make sure that your V5C is a red certificate and not a blue one. 

If you have personalised plates that you’d like to keep, the car will need to have the original number plates attached and a matching valid V5C on the handover day. See how to update your V5C with original plates.

 Some dealers may not accept cars that:

  • Are different from the description you gave us

  • Have issues identified by a car history check

  • Have extensive damage or are beyond repair

  • Have structural damage such as to the sill, roof or boot floor

  • Have dents larger than a football or holes in the panel

  • Have electrical damage, such as to the engine, bodywork or steering

  • Have mileage discrepancies

  • Have tyres that aren’t road legal 

  • Have been used for taxi, private hire, chauffeur or rental purposes

  • Have been used for driving lessons 

  • Have been used as a police vehicle or by a local authority

  • Have insurance issues

  • Have been written off

  • Have been imported or exported

  • Have mechanical or electrical faults

  • Haven’t got a valid MOT

  • Haven’t been first registered in the UK

  • Are older than 15 years old

  • Have been modified*

*A modification is any cosmetic, mechanical, electrical or software-based change you make to a car that isn't part of the original manufacturer's specification. You can sell cars that have been modified with tow bars.

Some dealers may also not accept ex-rental or commercial vehicles, rare or classic cars, vans, motorbikes or trucks.

Learn more about selling your car