Browse all articles

How do I tax my car?

• Updated

To tax your car you'll need to have your licence registration and 12-digit V5C number to hand.

If you’re buying or financing a car, you’ll need to buy road tax via the DVLA. The dealer will remind you to tax your car before your handover date.

On the DVLA website, click ‘Start now’ and then you’ll need to select the third option - ‘V5C/2 new keeper supplement (green slip), which is just a couple of clicks after you’ve entered your details.

Search cars