Browse all articles

Can I sell a car on behalf of someone else?

• Updated

If you're selling a car but you're not the registered keeper (owner), you'll need: 

  • Written authorisation from the registered keeper that you're allowed to sell the car.

  • The registered keeper's photo ID, such as a passport or driving licence. 

You’ll need to bring both of these documents to your handover so the dealer can take away the car. You’ll also need to bring the V5C, service history and MOT certificate.

Learn more about what you’ll need to bring on the day